Exultate Bells (grades 6-12) Sunday 3:45-4:45
Exultate Bells or Xbells as we call ourselves is a lively talented group of high school and middle school handbell ringers. Although many of us have been ringing bells since we were in elementary school, no experience is necessary to join this group, only a desire to learn and a very good sense of humor. We play five octave music of all levels and provide musical leadership in worship several times a year. Xbells have also played unusual numbers at the annual talent show, welcomed people with bells to worship on Sunday morning in the parking lot, and played as part of the Christmas Eve service prelude which offers the opportunity for alumni to revisit their bell-ringing days. New members are invited to come join the ringing!!!
Hosanna Singers ( grades 6-8 )
Hosanna Singers is our singing choir for middle school youth. This energeticgroup of singers rehearse weekly and share in musical leadership in worship at least monthly. Hosanna Singers sings anthems as their own choir and keeping with the theme of “middle school” this choir in the middle sometimes joins with our Agape Singers or Chancel Choir or Alleluia Choir to share an anthem. Treble voices, changed voices, undiscovered voices are all welcome in our choir where we will learn how to sing as an offering to God. New members are always welcome from the congregation and from the community-come check us out!
Agape Singers (grades 9-12)
The Agape Singers are the high school age choir of University Presbyterian Church. Agape is the Greek word for love that is used to describe the sacrificial love that Jesus calls to share with each other. This thirty voice choir of talented singers regularly provides musical leadership for worship on Sunday mornings. Members of this choir represent seven Rochester area high schools. This is the sixth year that the Agape Singers and adult chaperones will travel together on a choir/mission tour, witnessing and sharing God’s love through song and service. God’s Love On Tour 2013 will be to North Carolina.
God’s Love on Tour ’06 East Coast - PA, NJ, NY
God’s Love on Tour ’07 Ireland
God’s Love on Tour ’08 San Francisco
God’s Love on Tour ’09 Washington DC
God’s Love on Tour ’10 Niagara to Montauk
God’s Love on Tour ’11 Scotland/Ireland
God's Love on Tour '12 Florida
A few highlights of these tours have included:
- Singing and serving at Glide Memorial Soup Kitchen, San Francisco, CA
- Studying peacemaking and reconciliation at the Corrymeela Centre, Northern Ireland
- Singing at the Isaiah Wall at the United Nations, NYC
- Singing a song of peace at the Lincoln Memorial and Gettysburgh Battlefield,
- Singing an ecumenical concert for Protestants and Catholics in Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Cleaning and working at the Marvin Gaye Park in Washington, DC
- Learning about the work of the Chinese Presbyterian and Russian Orthodox Church in San Francisco
- Singing at Christ Church Dublin, Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, National Cathedral, DC, St John the Divine, NYC, San Francisco Theological Seminary, San Anselmo
- Singing in the airport parking lot in San Francisco, rest stops on Ohio Turnpike, middle of Golden Gate Bridge, Dublin Airport, really just about anywhere and everywhere!